I-70 Corridor to send 15 to state wrestling tournament
by Steven Vetter, Managing Editor
DENVER — When the 2020 Colorado State Wrestling Championships commence this Friday (Feb. 20) at Pepsi Center in Denver the I-70 Corridor will be represented by 15 student-athletes from Bennett, Strasburg and Byers.
Bennett qualified eight and Strasburg four from 3A Region 3 and Byers had three qualify from 2A Region 3. Bennett is tied with seven other teams for the third-most qualifiers in 3A; only three other schools had more — Jefferson and Alamosa with 10 each and Pagosa Springs with nine.
First-round matches start at 2 p.m. on Thursday with the following locals competing in their respective 16-man bracket:
BENNETT & STRASBURG IN 3A
• 106 pounds: Bennett sophomore John Faczak (40-7 record) will face Berthoud freshman Will Moneypenny (27-12) in the preliminaries.
• 120 pounds: Bennett freshman Carson Hawkins (28-15) will face Pagosa Springs junior Erik Wyman (41-5) in the opening round.
• 132 pounds: Strasburg freshman Zach Marrero (27-3), a 3A Region 3 weight champion, will take on Platte Valley sophomore Orrin Jackson (26-9). Bennett Freshman Isaak Copeland (25-20) will take on Berthoud senior Colton Williams (21-10).
• 138 pounds: Bennett freshman Wesley DuBois (26-15) will face off against Woodland Park junior Colton Simonis (11-4).
• 152 pounds: Bennett senior Joe Jordan (37-7) will take on Eaton freshman Ryder True (21-12).
• 170 pounds: Bennett junior Mac Copeland (40-2), a regional champion, will take on Olathe junior Wyatt Mansker (20-6). Strasburg junior Blake Coombs (15-7) faces off with Alamosa senior Hunter Smith (41-6). Both Copeland and Coombs are on the bottom side of the bracket and, if both win their first two matches, they would face each other in the semifinals.
• 182 pounds: Bennett junior Cody DuBois (35-3), the Tigers’ second regional champion, takes on Lamar junior Anthony Martinez (27-8).
• 195 pounds: Bennett senior Casey Harvey (25-9) faces Steamboat Springs senior John Stowey (37-9). Strasburg senior Trevor Smith (22-12) takes on Delta senior Gauge Lockhart (29-5).
• 220 pounds: Strasburg senior Chad Sutherland (31-10) takes on Severance sophomore Cody King (27-9).
BYERS IN 2A
• 132 pounds: Bulldog freshman Lain Yapoujian (34-6), a 2A Region 3 champion, faces Dolores Huerta junior Xavier Mendoza (29-14).
• 138 pounds: Bulldog senior Wyatt Yapoujian (37-4), another regional champion and the No. 1 seed entering state, takes on West Grand junior Rene Dominguez (12-9).
• 220 pounds: Bulldog senior Wyatt Vermeer (11-24) takes on Monte Vista junior Ethan Hotz (28-9).
Second round action on both the consolation and championship parts of the bracket start Friday morning.
Colorado Secretary of State’s Office Extends Charity Filing Deadlines
Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold has issued emergency rules extending certain filing deadlines forRead More
Unified Command Group Member Tests Positive to COVID19
A member of the Colorado Unified Command Group (UCG) working at the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) tested positive for COVID-19.